what is it about?
Every year, in the small town of Boatcliff (town name is ? atm), one person goes missing. Even with in-depth police investigations and internet discourse, no one is ever found and they’re all forgotten. But one person likes to remember – Blake Sanderson. He’s become obsessed with the town’s mystery and when he meets Bryn, who begins to answer his questions, the mystery starts to unravel dark family secrets, tragic pasts and newly found love.I love how blurbs don’t incorporate HALF the stuff the book is about and this is kind of vague, but I hope it gives you an idea of what the book is about!! There’s like a LOT more stuff in the book but I don’t want to just tell you everything that happens. other things to note:
- themes: friendship, loving, toxic love, parents, coming to terms with your past
- dark and spooky but also very autumn themed!! I LOVE SETTING BOOKS IN AUTUMN, especially because I’m writing it In THAT SEASON so the vibes of the book just become SO good.
- I feel like because my characters are about 15/16 they have to go to school RIGHT but like,,, WHO CAN BE BOTHERED TO WRITE EDUCATION INTO THE NARRATIVE. This is the MAIN thing bugging me, oops.
- I do not plan to write an outline! They just don’t work for me at the moment and that’s okay! I PLOT my novel a lot but writing scene by scene is just not how I work.
- It’s an urban fantasy and it IS set in a made-up town in England (I didn’t want to set in a foreign place like Germany because that requires research and it’s so much easier to write about places YOU KNOW AND LIVE IN.)
- BOATCLIFF IS A TEMP. NAME FOR THE TOWN. please help me come up with better ones.
- there’s going to be LAKES and PUMPKINS and FORESTS and SECRETS and MYSTERIES and MAGIC and WITCHES and uh ice cream!!
- I might be making a playlist for this after NaNoWriMo is over!
- I AM JUST SO EXCITED.
charactersI have 4 main-ish characters and I haven’t discovered everything out about them YET. Their ethnicities are vague so far, surnames are always debatable, and family lives AREN’T ENTIRELY figured out just yet! So there’s still a lot to do.
BRYN LEEintrovert ~ funny ~ kind ~ warm-hearted ~ talkative ~ anxious ~ likes to read books ~ loves photography ~ Asian ~ obsessed with water (lakes, oceans), Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff – she/her
BLAKE SANDERSONambivert ~ loyal ~ trustful ~ guards his emotions ~ obsessed with mysteries ~ loves danger and spooky things ~ outgoing ~ italian(?) Gryffindor and Hufflepuff ~ he/him