There’s no escaping the fact that we coddle, nurture and
murder sing to our blogs.
Basically, they are our children and we love them. Okay? That’s just how it works. They explode on us and our hearts (apparently other people have these) just go out to our precious little things which we put out sweat, tears and blood into. I don’t think we should even be ashamed of the fact. We love our blogs, they don’t love us back! Simple.
But sometimes…you see another blog or you post something or the world just explodes, and you have this feeling that your blog isn’t good enough. Or that you need to improve something and you just don’t feel good about your child! It happens to all of us, I think. MAYBE? Someone tell me I’m not along flailing over this topic whilst putting my cactus to sleep. That would be unfair.
So today’s topic is unfortunately not about my imaginary sleeping cactus, but the WHY you don’t feel satisfied and how to fix that. AHHAHAH more like a self-help tutorial but we’ll call it a discussion.
WHY ARE YOU FEELING LIKE YOUR BLOG IS A POTATO?
(because it is a potato. JUST KIDDING) But why are you feeling like this? Don’t you love your blog? Why do you feel so rubbish about your blog? Why is the world ending???? I actually have no idea but ice cream is good.
- Feeling a little slumpish. This happens to me. You’re not happy with recent posts of yours and think you can never ever write a good post again. Your brain refuses to come up with ideas because you’ll tell yourself you’ll never be good at writing a post again.
- Recent stats are low. Sometimes a post really doesn’t do well and you just want to cry and go sulk in your hobbit hole while drinking from a china tea cup. Low stats can really de-motivate you and you just feel a bit rubbish about your blog, in general.
- Your design is getting old. As a little bit of a designer myself, I used to change my designs after 1 month of them settling them in. Sometimes you just look at your blog design and go ‘nope’ and shake your head.
- The monster of jealousy is feeding off your soul. You know that feeling when you just see all these awesome blogs surrounding you and then you just see your blog and deflate like a balloon. Yeah, this is a little bit of blogger envy; comparing your blog to theirs and realising everyone else has such a better blog than you.
- Realising you haven’t posted in ages. Whether it be you’re sick or on holiday or just have not been feeling up to blogging when you return to blogging you feel bad and unsatisfied with your blog. It happens. *sigh*
DEALING WITH IT
Do you ever feel like a lumpy potato, rolling through your sadness? Um…sorry. You GOTTA DEAL WITH THIS OKAY??? You’re a firework. You are awesome. You got this. Here are some more convincing techniques.
- Make yourself proud! Don’t like your blog, change it! CHANGE IT To match YOU not the blog’s you’ve been spying on. Make your blog something you’re proud of.
- Why are you feeling like this? Maybe it’s not of the things I’ve said above, but really think…why am I feeling so unsatisfied with my blog? Is it your design? Is it because what you are posting…isn’t making you feel good? Then change it. YOU HAVE THE POWER TO DO THAT. Post what you would want to read, ask for some design help.
- Read over old blog posts. OKAY GASP DIE. I know this is awkward but go back to the time when you WERE proud of your blog and see what was different. That could really help.
- Take a break. Sometimes you just need to step back and recharge your batteries because you’re overwhelmed and as a result, your blog is suffering. Give it time. Nap, read some books.
- Eat Ice cream! Any other food works. Mangoes, marshmallows, cake, chips. FOOD which is the cure for life. You can thank me later *sends ice cream*
Do you ever feel UNsatisfied with your blog?
What sparked this discussion idea is this; VERY recently I felt a little down about my blog. I’m not one to every day check my stats and obsess over them and just be crazy about how many comments i’m getting each post or constantly checking my follower count. But I do know when some posts do better than others by how many comments I’m replying to. I can check that myself.
My recent post In An Inkshell #1 got very little attention. It was a writerly update and I was so pumped to post and it was so much fun to compile but it didn’t work, i guess? For me this time, it was stats & comments. On my old blog, it was mostly the graphic design. And it really disheartened me when I put so much effort into a post for it then to only get a few comments.
So, to feel better about my blog, I wrote a discussion because they always get a lot of responses! I feel better when writing discussions because they’re so fun to write as well! Don’t let anything get you down about your blog, it’s amazing because you are amazing too! BE PROUD of your blog!